Food Allergy Awareness InitiativesBack to Category View
FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK (FAAW) TOOLKIT
How to Request A Mayoral/ Governor Proclamation for FAAW
Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. Each of us works in our own way to raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. When we all work together and focus our efforts over the course of one week, it amplifies our message and reaches many more people than any one of us could do alone. Thanks to your energy and dedication, this event continues to grow each year, increasing the reach of our public awareness and education efforts. There are many ways you can get involved. One way that you can get involved is by getting a Mayoral/Governor proclamation for FAAW. This toolkit will provide you with all the resources you may need to have your Mayor/Governor proclaim May 9-15, 2021, as Food Allergy Awareness Week in your city and/or state.
What is a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation?
Proclamations are typically issued by a Mayor to recognize the importance of a community event, achievements by community members, or to signal a City’s role in significant events. Proclamations may be read at a City Council meeting, or at a community event, depending on the schedule of the Mayor. Proclamations are often posted on the City’s website. Original signed proclamations will be provided to the requesting party (sometimes must be received in person at City offices).
Why request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation in your City/State?
Proclamations are the official recognition that the Mayor’s/Governor’s office cares about residents with food allergies. It shows support to all the residents that this is an issue that matters and that the Mayor/Governor recognizes the serious nature of the condition. A proclamation can lead to attention in the press and may influence consideration when it comes to policy making with regards to food allergy. It also provides a way to:
- Opportunity to meet/greet/photo with your Mayor/Governor and/or other City representation.
- Become a FAAW Ambassador to your City and help establish Food Allergy Awareness Week as a locally and nationally recognized event.
- Help your City increase awareness regarding food allergy, supporting the food allergy community.
- Get your City/State government more involved in local causes.
What Food Allergy Awareness Week will offer your City/State:
- The chance for citizens to become more aware and get involved in state, community, and local causes.
- Build and strengthen partnerships across sectors.
In this toolkit, you will find:
- Steps to request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation
- Sample outreach email
- Sample Mayoral/Governor Proclamation for Food Allergy Awareness Week
- Sample Press Release
Steps to Request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation for Food Allergy Awareness Week
1. On your city/state’s official website, you may find directions on how to request a proclamation. Some may even have a direct link, web address or steps to follow for their process. If this is not available, send an email to your Mayor’s office. Contact information for your Mayor should be listed on the site. We have provided a sample email in this tool kit for you.
2. Request proclamation in advance in order to be completed and received by a specific date.
3. Many times, offices may request a sample draft of the proclamation. We also have a sample in the tool kit as well.
4. You also might consider requesting a photo opportunity when the Mayor actually signs the proclamation or presenting the document to the public or directly to you as the representative requesting the proclamation. It would be great to invite other FAAW supporters in your community to take part as well.
5. If your Mayor grants your request, share your story with your local media. It is a wonderful opportunity to spread awareness even further. Create a press release to send to your media outlets in television, press and radio. We have created a template for your press release as part of this kit.
6. FAAW ambassadors who spearhead the action to receive a Mayoral Proclamation in their City are welcome to display the official Proclamation in their organization. Let us know about your success! Share your achievement with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team so we can help you spread the word about your achievement and your City’s involvement!
7. Repeat the above steps to request your Governor’s Proclamation in your state.
Thanks for being a part of Food Allergy Awareness Week!
May is Food Allergy Awareness Month, and FAACT is shining bright
with Teal Love!
FAACT’s Teal Love Shines Bright Awareness Campaign
We are proud to share our #TealLoveShinesBright Food Allergy Awareness Month campaign again for 2021!
With COVID-19 still keeping us limited as to what we can do, some neighbors looking for a change of scenery are passing by our windows still now more than ever. Show that you care about people living with food allergies by proudly displaying this cheery downloadable poster – and let Teal Love shine in your community!
You can also spread Teal Love by changing your social media profile and cover images with #TealLoveShinesBright to help raise awareness during Food Allergy Awareness Month. Download free, festive images here:
Check out our page below for more fun activities you can do from home. Let’s show communities across the country that our #TealLoveShinesBright!
Sample Outreach Email
The following email offers ideas and language you can use as part of your outreach to your Mayor for FAAW. Feel free to copy, paste or adjust as you see fit for your organization as you communicate about your involvement with Food Allergy Awareness Week 2019.
FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK- MAY 9-15, 2021
This year, May 9-15, 2021, [NAME OF LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP] and Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team (FAACT) are part of a local and national call to action that will spread awareness and understanding regarding Food Allergies. Food allergy is an immune system response to a food the body mistakenly believes is harmful. This sometimes results in anaphylaxis, a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening. When a person with food allergy eats the food, his or her immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals, including histamine, that trigger a cascade of symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal tract, the skin, and/or the cardiovascular system. There are approximately 32 million Americans, including 6 million children, affected by food allergies.
U.S. Mayors, Governors, City Councils and other elected officials around the country have supported food allergy awareness in their area. Even the White House also publically supported Food Allergy Awareness Week.
As a Food Allergy Awareness Week supporter from the City/State of _____________, we would like to respectfully request that the City/State of ___________ officially proclaim May 9-15, 2021 as Food Allergy Awareness Week. Your support in endorsing FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK, will increase community awareness about food allergies. In doing so, you will help educate schools, restaurants and the residence of our city on the seriousness of this potentially life-threatening medical condition.
FAACT’s Food Allergy Awareness Week campaign provides a framework and ideas for people to choose their own best way to contribute to their communities and will provide the citizens of _____________ with an opportunity to spread awareness. [INSERT HOW YOUR SG INTENDS ON PARTICIPATING]
For additional information, please visit our website at www.FoodAllergyAwareness.org. It would truly be an honor to have the City/State of __________ formally proclaim Food Allergy Awareness Week in support of the food allergic families within our community. Thank you for considering our request.
FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK
May 9-15, 2021
Food Allergy Awareness Week provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. Each of us works in our own way to raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. When we all work together and focus our efforts over the course of one week, it amplifies our message and reaches many more people than any one of us could do alone.
Thanks to your energy and dedication, this event continues to grow each year, increasing the reach of our public awareness and education efforts. There are many ways you can get involved this year.
Download our FAACT's Food Allergy Awareness Week Proclamation Kit (PDF). This toolkit will provide you with all the resources you may need to have your Mayor/Governor proclaim May 9-15, 2021, as Food Allergy Awareness Week in your city and/or state. Visit our FAAW Proclamation page for more details.
If you participate in any of our awareness initiatives below and want to send your tax-deductible donations to us, please mail a check made out to FAACT and send to:
c/o (the name of the awareness initiative below)
P.O. Box 511
West Chester, OH 45071
If you want to send us a donation online, please visit our Donate page. Click on "Other", enter the amount, and enter the name of the awareness initiative in the "Reason" box.
FAACT thanks you for your support in raising awareness on behalf of all individuals affected by food allergy and life-threatening anaphylaxis!
(Sample) Food Allergy Awareness Week Proclamation
May 9-15, 2021
WHEREAS, Food Allergy Awareness Week was established as a national week of encouraging food allergy awareness and supporting those who are impacted by food allergies and anaphylaxis; and
WHEREAS, Food allergies affect approximately 32 million Americans, including 6 million children; and
WHEREAS, the prevalence of food allergies appears to be increasing among children under the age of 18, which is 2 students in every classroom; and
WHEREAS, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1997 and 2011, the prevalence of food allergies rose 50 percent and
WHEREAS, eight foods account for 90 percent of all food allergy reactions: Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Milk, Egg, Wheat, Soy, Fish and Shellfish.
WHEREAS, a food allergy is an immune system response to a food the body mistakenly believes is harmful. When a person with food allergy eats the food, his or her immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals, including histamine, that trigger a cascade of symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal tract, the skin, and/or the cardiovascular system; and
WHEREAS, there is no cure for food allergies, strict avoidance is the only way to prevent an allergic reaction; and
WHEREAS, anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening; and
WHEREAS, managing a food allergy on a daily basis involves constant vigilance and trace amounts of an allergen can trigger an allergic reaction in some individuals; and
WHEREAS, Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team (FAACT) is a national, nonprofit organization committed to their mission to educate, advocate, and raise awareness for all individuals and families affected by food allergies and life-threatening anaphylaxis; and
NOW, THEREFORE, I, (MAYOR'S/GOVERNOR’S NAME), Mayor of the City/Governor of (CITY/STATE NAME), do hereby proclaim May 9-15, 2021 as Food Allergy Awareness Week in the City/State of (CITY/STATE NAME), and encourage all residents to increase their understanding and awareness of this potentially life-threatening medical condition, improving the quality of life of the 32 million Americans affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis by visiting www.FoodAllergyAwareness.org.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the City/State of (CITY NAME, STATE) to be affixed this 9th day of May 2021.
SIGNATURE NAME, MAYOR/GOVERNOR of (CITY/STATE NAME)
Sample Press Release
[INSERT CITY/STATE NAME] Proclaims May 9-15, 2021 Food Allergy Awareness Week
[INSERT LOCATION] [INSERT DATELINE] – [INSERT CITY/STATE NAME] has proclaimed May 9-15, 2021 as Food Allergy Awareness Week. The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team (FAACT) and [INSERT LOCAL SG NAME] of [LOCATION] would like to invite the community to participate. Food Allergy Awareness Week is an event created to transform how people think about food allergy across the nation. This week-long learning event provides a platform for schools, physicians and families to share information about food allergy raising awareness about this potentially life threatening medical condition that affects approximately 32 million Americans, including 6 million children. Researchers are unsure of why, but food allergies are on the increase. There is no approved treatment and the only proven option is total avoidance of the allergen.
[INSERT WHY/HOW LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP IS INVOLVED FAAW AND DETAILS OF LOCAL EVENTS: I.E., MY DAUGHTER MARY HAS CREATED THIS DISPLAY FOR HER SCHOOL, OR OUR SCHOOL NURSE HAS CREATED A FUN BULLITEN BOARD SO THAT THE KIDS CAN LEARN FOOD ALLERGY FACTS, ETC. PERSONALIZE THE STORY TO RELATE TO AN AUDIENCE.]
Food Allergy Awareness Week provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. FAACT provides creative ways people can participate in Food Allergy Awareness Week. Those who are interested in joining [INSERT LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP’S NAME]’s efforts during Food Allergy Awareness Week can visit FAACT’s Food Allergy Awareness Week Page. For more details about the Food Allergy Awareness Week movement, visit FAACT at www.FoodAllergyAwareness.org, and follow FAACT on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Thanks for being a part of Food Allergy Awareness Week!
Food Allergy Awareness Activities and Tools:
- Introduce your students to common food allergens and safety protocols while encouraging empathy for classmates with a food allergy. Share FAACT's Food Allergy Curricula Program for Schools with the teacher-designed PowerPoint presentations, lesson plans, and activities in this free curriculum.
- FAACT bookmarks & posters to share with family, friends, and school personnel. It’s an easy – and useful – way to share important information about food allergies. Order your FAACT Bookmarks & Posters today to be shipped in time for FAAW!
- Change your Profile and Cover photos on social media to FAACT's Share the FAACTs and Know the FAACTs for Food Allergy Awareness Week/Month.
- Raise awareness in your community and send a press release to your local newspaper and/or schedule a radio interview. Not sure where to start? Download FAACT’s 2021 press release and personalize it for your community and/or schedule a radio interview.
- Request a proclamation from your governor or local elected official(s). Arrange for a public signing and/or photo opportunity and share the event with local media (papers, TV, radio, etc.).
- Print out and distribute FAACT’s Resources Flyer in your community. Encourage local allergist and pediatrician’s office to distribute the flyer to their patients. Encourage school professionals, healthcare professionals, restaurant & food service personnel, family, teens, and friends to distribute the flyer throughout their networks.
- Use social media to educate your friends and family about food allergies and anaphylaxis. See FAACT’s messages below for each day under “Share the FAACTs”.
- Post a blog about Food Allergy Awareness Week.
- Start a food allergy support group! Visit FAACT’s support group development section to get started.
Host a fundraiser. Simple activities you can organize in your community include a:
- Car wash
- Local food allergy walk
- Book sale
- Raise $1 a day to donate to FAACT to further our education and advocacy efforts
Educate yourself to become a better advocate for yourself and others:
Share the FAACTs!
A simple statement can be enough to change the way one thinks about food allergies and anaphylaxis. It all starts with education!
Simply copy, paste, and share one fact each day - via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and more! Request family members & friends to participate by sharing your status! Include FAACT’s website information after each fact to encourage viewers to learn more: FoodAllergyAwareness.org, and include FAACT's Twitter handle @FAACTNews and hashtags #FAACT and #foodallergy.
Twitter: #FoodAllergy is NOT a food intolerance. #FoodAllergies involve immune system (IgE) & can be life-threatening. #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: A #FoodAllergy is NOT the same as a food intolerance. #FoodAllergies involve immune system (IgE) & can be life-threatening. Visit #FAACT to learn more about food allergies: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/food-allergy-basics/#FAAW #KnowTheFAACTs #ShareTheFAACTs
Twitter: 8 foods account for 90% of all #FoodAllergy reactions: Peanut, Tree Nut, Egg, Soy, Dairy, Wheat, Fish, and Shellfish. #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Eight foods account for 90% of all #FoodAllergy reactions: Peanut, Tree Nut, Egg, Soy, Dairy, Wheat, Fish and Shellfish. However, almost any food can cause a reaction. To learn more about the #TOP8, visit #FAACT: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/food-allergens/ #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTS #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergies
Twitter: Read #labels each and every time before eating any food product. Ingredients & manufacturing can change! #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Read #labels each and every time before eating any food product! #Ingredients and/or #manufacturing can change over time, or may vary depending upon the size of the product (e.g. jumbo vs snack size). Visit #FAACT for more information on food labels: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/food-labeling/food-labels/ #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTS #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergy #FoodAllergies
Twitter: Hand sanitizing gel is NOT sufficient to remove #allergens. Use warm/hot soapy water or a commercial "tidy" wipe. #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Hand sanitizing gel is NOT sufficient to remove #allergens. Use warm/hot soapy water or a commercial "tidy" wipe. Visit #FAACT for more tips on preventing #crosscontact: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/cross-contact/ #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTs #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergy #FoodAllergies
Twitter: #Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening! #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: #Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening. Anaphylaxis includes a wide range of #signs and #symptoms that can occur alone, or in combination, after exposure to an #allergen. Visit #FAACT to learn more: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/anaphylaxis/ #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTs #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergy #FoodAllergies #Anaphylaxis
Twitter: Past reactions to a #foodallergy do not predict future #reactions! You can still have a life-threatening rx to a #food you are #allergic to. #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Past reactions to a #foodallergy do not predict future #reactions. You can still have a life-threatening reaction to a food you are allergic to, even if you have never had a serious reaction before. Visit #FAACT: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/anaphylaxis/ #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTs #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergies #Anaphylaxis
Twitter: Prompt administration of #epinephrine is crucial to surviving a potentially life-threating #reaction. #FAAW #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Prompt administration of #epinephrine is crucial to surviving a potentially life-threating #reaction. Always carry two (2) auto-injectable epinephrine devices with you, and know how to recognize the #signs and #symptoms of an #allergic reaction. Find out more at #FAACT: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/food-allergy-and-anaphylaxis/treatment-management/ #FAAW #FAAW #KnowTheFAACTs #ShareTheFAACTs #FoodAllergy #FoodAllergies
Twitter: Eating away from home can significantly increase #risk 4 individuals w/#foodallergies. Learn how to reduce your risk when #diningout. #FAACT FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Facebook: Eating away from home can significantly increase risk for individuals with food allergies. Learn how to reduce your risk when dining out. #FAACT #foodallergy #diningout #anaphylaxis #FAAW FoodAllergyAwareness.org
Twitter: #FAACT & @TAPSeries Collaborate on #ANSI-accredited #FoodAllergen#Training for #Food Service Est's: https://buff.ly/2D0GpaD #foodallergy #diningout #foodservicetraining #foodallergies #restaurant #hotel #foodsafety
#DiningOut This #Weekend?
Share #FAACT's Allergen Friendly™ Training Series Program with the #restaurant or #food establishment your visiting - which is #ANSI-accredited.
We want #foodservice establishments to have affordable and easy access to our new #allergen #training modules. There are three training modules:
Allergen Awareness (ANSI-accredited) - $14.95
Allergen Plan Development - $29.95
Allergen Specialist - $29.95
Visit our website to learn more: FoodAllergyAwareness.org/education/dining-out/#foodallergy #foodallergies #allergy #allergies #anaphylaxis #education #advocacy #allergens #awareness #allergyawareness #foodallergyawareness #outreach #community #support #dining #ShareTheFAACTs #KnowTheFAACTs #TAPSeries
How Can Schools and Communities Get Involved?
Educate school personnel with our FREE 'FAACTs for Schools' Staff Education Program. 'FAACTs for Schools' contains an overview of food allergies including current best practices based on the Centers for Disease Control’s “Voluntary Guidelines for Managing Food Allergies in Schools”. With a pretest, post evaluation and complete talking points, this presentation can be used by parents or educators to educate school personnel nationwide.
- Introduce your students to common food allergens and safety protocols while encouraging empathy for classmates with a food allergy. Share FAACT's Food Allergy Curricula Program for Schools with the teacher-designed PowerPoint presentations, lesson plans, and activities in this free curriculum. This program for K-3, 4-8, and 9-12 is FREE and downloadable.
- Embed food allergy video links in e-newsletters to help educate families and patients:
- Test Your Food Allergy Knowledge: Do you know the answers?
- Food Allergy Awareness for All Parents in the School Community
Share a reminder each day during morning announcements (grade appropriate). Examples:
Always wash hands.
Don’t share food.
Get help if a food allergic friend feels sick.
Educate the student body (age-appropriate): Empowering Kids
Set up food allergy educational stations throughout schools and in office buildings.
Teachers can read food allergy books to their students, or have the class participate in an activity.
Librarian’s can read and have available food allergy related books to check out.
Train Your School Staff with the Following Tools:
- Visit FAACT’s Education Resource Center for FREE educational downloads.
- 'FAACTs for Schools' Staff Education Program
- FAACT's Food Allergy Curricula Program for Schools
- NEA's 'Food Allergy Book: What School Employees Need to Know' in English and Spanish
- Host a school fundraiser to support districts with food allergy and anaphylaxis needs
FAACT's DRESS DOWN DAY for FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS (logo attached)
Does your child attend a private school? Ask your school principal if they would participate in FAACT's Dress Down Day for Food Allergy Awareness where each student brings in $1 to be "out of uniform" for the day.
For any public or private school, ask your school principal if the students can wear "teal" during Food Allergy Awareness Week, and each student can donate $1 to help raise awareness for food allergies and anaphylaxis.
All proceeds can be donated to FAACT to further enhance our education programs. These are easy and fun ways to create food allergy awareness throughout the month of May...and year-round!
FAACT's WALK AROUND THE BLOCK (logo attached)
Will your school walk to raise awareness? Ask your school principal if they would participate in FAACT's Walk Around the Block. The school can organize a fun walk around the block one day during Food Allergy Awareness Week for students and school personnel. Each person can donate $1 to walk and share the funds raised with FAACT to further our education and advocacy initiatives. Your sneakers were made for walking!
CHANGE for FAACT CAMPAIGN! (logo attached)
You can help make change for people living with food allergies through CHANGE FOR FAACT! It’s simple. Get your class or entire school to sponsor a CHANGE FOR FAACT coin drive, ask local restaurants and other businesses to place a jar up front, or canvass your neighborhood. While collecting coins, you can help spread awareness about food allergies. Just collecting your loose change at the end of the day will make a big difference! All donations will directly support FAACT’s education and advocacy programs.
Want to Join CHANGE for FAACT? Here’s what to do…
1. Set up an empty jar to collect loose change in a central place in your house and notify family members that you are collecting CHANGE FOR FAACT during the month of May. Ask them to participate by emptying loose change into the jar each day. At the end of the month, count the collected change and write a check payable to FAACT for that amount. You can also visit our Web site to make your donation. Don’t forget to take pictures of your change jar! Send them to Eleanor.Garrow@FoodAllergyAwareness.org, and we will post them on FAACT's Facebook page.
2. Ask your classmates or school to participate in CHANGE FOR FAACT. Download free posters listed below under Additional Resources along with the 10 FAACTs about Food Allergies Poster and distribute them to teachers and classmates. Ask students to bring in spare change during the entire month of May. At the end of the month, collect all the change and write a check payable to FAACT for that amount. You can also visit our Web site to make your donation.
3. Print FAACT's 10 FAACTs about Food Allergies Poster, and take them with you on a walk around your neighborhood. Ask neighbors for loose change and spread the word about food allergies. Visit local restaurants and other businesses and ask them to put a donation jar at the cash register. At the end of May, count your collected change and write a check payable to FAACT for that amount. You can also visit our website to make your donation.