FAACT's Teen Retreat 2022 Overview
OCTOBER 28-30, 2022
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center, Oak Brook, Illinois
FAACT's Celebrity Spokesperson, August Maturo, to join FAACT’s Eighth Annual Teen Retreat, which will be Friday, October 28, through Sunday, October 30, 2022 at The Hyatt Lodge & Conference Center in Oak Brook, Illinois.
FAACT's Eighth Annual Teen Retreat weekend is all about tweens, teens, and college students, their siblings, and their parents. The weekend offers an informative program full of fun activities. Teens will learn about managing their food allergies and, more importantly, spend time with peers who have food allergies (and siblings who do not). Siblings are also affected when a family member has food allergies. Our Teen Retreat is a safe place for them to discuss their concerns with a group who not only understands but can share their own experiences, advice, and solutions.
Teens, college students, and siblings must be between the ages of 11 and 23 to attend the Teen Retreat. It is important for college-aged teens and young adults to be included as well – they can act as mentors to the younger teens and also have the opportunity to connect with their peers and discuss managing food allergies in college. All teens will be together for some sessions for mentoring aspects, and then there will be breakout sessions for middle school, high school, and college.
Parents are in session all day on Saturday learning from healthcare professionals, parent advocates, teen advocates, and Parents have time to bond and share stories during both evenings, as well, while the teens are participating in the social events.
There will be an Expo and additional sessions for parents while the teens are in session on Sunday, including time to socialize. The Expo features FAACT's sponsors who distribute literature, materials, and samples.
To close the weekend, there will be a special parent and teen session together, which is very moving and a wonderful way to end the weekend. It is an inspirational and empowering weekend for the entire family that you will not want to miss!
Schedules with speakers and topics will be available by June 2022!
Registration Fees Per Person
*Registration fees include the following:
- Entrance to FAACT's Teen Retreat.
- Socials on Friday evening after the Welcome Ceremony
- Parent Meet & Greet
- Teen Social
- Catered lunch on Saturday (allergen-friendly menu planned with catering staff).
- Teen and Parent Lunches are free from the Top-9 plus gluten-free and seed-free.
- All allergies will be accommodated.
- After lunch on Saturday, the Teens will spend the afternoon at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Centre for a team building activity.
- Coffee/soda/juice/water beverage bar throughout the weekend.
- Socials on Saturday evening
- Parent Social
- Teen Social/Dance Party
- FAACT gifts for all attendees, including sweatshirts for the teens.
|Early Bird Registration Fees through June 30:||Registration Fees July 1 - October 14:|
NOTE: Teens (ages 11-17) must be accompanied by a parent and/or legal guardian who also attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18 and still a senior in high school, he/she must also be accompanied by a parent and/or legal guardian who attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18+ and in college, he/she may attend the Teen Retreat weekend on his/her own, but parents and/or legal guardians are still preferred to attend.
Registration Is Coming Soon!
Deadline to Register is October 14, 2022
Teen Retreat Weekend Timeline
Thursday/Friday: Arrive and check into the hotel (if traveling).
- 10a-3p (Optional): Day activity for all attendees. We use the hotel shuttle to/from the hotel and Oak Brook Shopping Centre. Teens socialize and shop (with Teen Leader chaperones). Parents go for coffee and socialize. We meet up for a group lunch in a reserved area at Maggiano's Little Italy (each family pays for their own bill). We had about 75 of the attendees join us in 2019, and it was a fun, successful day. ALL ALLERGIES WERE ACCOMMODATED!
- 3p-6:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
Official Start of the Retreat:
- 6:30p-7p: Check-in at Registration (receive name badges, materials, gifts, & visit Expo booths)
- 7p-8:30p: Welcome Ceremony with Curtis Zimmerman
- 8:30p-10:30p: Teen Social and Parent's Meet & Greet Social
- 9a-12p: Separate Parent and Teen sessions (teens grouped by age groups)
- 12p-1p: Separate Parent and Teen luncheons
- Parent sessions
- TEENS will spend the afternoon with the Teen Leaders at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Shopping Centre for some fun team building and return by 4pm to meet their parents.
- 4p-7:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
- 7:30p-9:30p: Teen Social/Dance Party and Parent Social
- 9a-11:30a: Separate Parent and Teen sessions (teens grouped by age groups)
- 11:30a-1p: Joint Parent and Teen session
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center
2815 Jorie Blvd.
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Hotel Nightly Rate: $159.00/night plus 9% tax - Total: $173.31/night
Rooms: 2 Queen Beds, Mini Refrigerator, Patio/Balcony, Free Wi-Fi
Check-in: 3:00pm | Check-out: 12:00pm
Online Reservation Link: Coming in January 2022
Reservation cut-off date: September 30, 2022
For sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities, please contact Eleanor Garrow-Holding.
Want to see what a great time we had in 2019? Check out our YouTube slide show!
Curtis Zimmerman, “Living the Dream,” returns for FAACT’s Teen Retreat
Curtis Zimmerman has always been a huge hit with parents and teens at conferences. Having celiac disease himself, Zimmerman relates to the challenges faced by food-allergic groups and is very engaging. “We are thrilled to have Curtis join us each year for FAACT’s Teen Retreat,” says FAACT CEO Eleanor Garrow-Holding. “Not only will Curtis be delivering the keynote at the Opening Ceremony, he will also be conducting two, 90-minute interactive sessions on Saturday morning – one with teens and one with parents. It is definitely going to be an inspirational, empowering weekend for all."
Both as a speaker and author, Curtis Zimmerman has reached more than one million people around the globe with his life-changing messages and award-winning programs. Curtis is an expert at transforming organizations by inspiring individuals to live their lives at a higher level of performance.
Curtis’ unique combination of humor, personal stories, and interactive activities affect an audience like no other. He started his entrepreneurial career at the age of twelve, marketing and self-managing himself as a mime and juggler. He was a nationally recognized mime performing at such notable places as Universal Studio-Hollywood, where he won Entertainer of the Year; Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; and performing arts centers coast to coast. He then took to the seas, performing on numerous cruise ships traveling all over the world.
His deeply profound insight and perspective coupled with his high energy presentations have made him a highly sought out speaker for more than 20,000 airmen for the United States Air Force and among such notable companies as Walt Disney Entertainment, Swiss Army Brands, Luxottica Retail, and Procter and Gamble.
Curtis currently resides in the greater Cincinnati area with his wife and three children.