DEI Resource Center
Inclusion MattersBack to Category View
A Year Filled with DEI-Focused Wins
by Aleasa Word, FAACT’s Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
I can hardly believe it’s been a year since I joined FAACT as Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Taking on the task of expanding DEI initiatives during what seemed to be the never-ending COVID-19 pandemic was not for the faint at heart, yet I couldn’t ask for a better team to work with.
Here are some of the things we accomplished with you over the past year:
- Designed and launched FAACT’s DEI Resource Center
- Added the “Inclusion Matters” section to FAACT’s monthly newsletter to regularly highlight inclusion issues
- Introduced the S.H.A.R.E.S Framework, a support model for diversity, equity, and inclusion to assist communities we serve through intersectionality and equitable solutions for those living with food allergies
- Held a BIPOC Town Hall Community Event
- Continued to include DEI discussions in FAACT’s Roundtable Podcast
- Developed of more inclusive materials for support groups, families, and community members
- Introduced the “We Got it Right” Inclusion Champions Program for Physicians & Healthcare Professionals
- Created a more inclusive experience for the FAACT Teen Retreat
- Added downloadable resources to enhance the community’s DEI journey
As 2023 peeks above the horizon, we have more great things planned to improve our connection to members of our food allergy community. Here are a few things you can do to help us help you better:
- Tell us what has been helpful to you on our website or during contact with staff
- Let us know about challenges you face that may be closely correlated to cultural dynamics so we can consider how our materials and outreach could help people in the future
- Take part in discussions in FAACT Facebook groups and online events
- Send suggested topics for the Inclusion Matters column of FAACT’s e-newsletter
- Stay tuned for opportunities for more community feedback in 2023
With our enhanced Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens, it is our sincerest hope that we have helped people who may have previously felt unheard or excluded. We also want to continue bridging the gap between physicians and patients and will continue to expand our reach in this area.
Thank you for your support. I wish you all the happiest, most productive, and safest 2023!