FAACT's Teen Retreat 2023 Overview
SEPTEMBER 15-17, 2023
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center, Oak Brook, Illinois
FAACT's Eighth Annual Teen Retreat will be held Friday, September 15, through Sunday, September 17, 2023 at The Hyatt Lodge & Conference Center in Oak Brook, Illinois.
FAACT's Teen Retreat weekend is all about tweens, teens, and college students, their siblings, and their parents/caregivers - managing food allergies, asthma, eosinophilic disorders, FPIES, and Celiac disease. The weekend offers an informative program full of fun activities. Teens will learn about managing their food allergies and, more importantly, spend time with peers who have food allergies (and siblings who do not). Siblings are also affected when a family member has food allergies. Our Teen Retreat is a safe place for them to discuss their concerns with a group who not only understands but can share their own experiences, advice, and solutions.
Teens, college students, and siblings must be between the ages of 11 and 22 to attend the Teen Retreat. It is important for college-aged teens and young adults to be included as well – they can act as mentors to the younger teens and also have the opportunity to connect with their peers and discuss managing food allergies in college. All teens will be together for some sessions for mentoring aspects, and then there will be breakout sessions by grades.
Parents/Caregivers are in session all day on Saturday learning from healthcare professionals, parent/caregiver advocates, teen advocates, and Parents/Caregivers have time to bond and share stories during both evenings, as well, while the teens are participating in the social events.
There will be an Expo set up all weekend and additional sessions for parents/caregivers while the teens are in session on Sunday. The Expo features FAACT's sponsors who distribute literature, materials, and samples.
To close the weekend, there will be a special parent/caregiver and teen session together, which is very moving and a wonderful way to end the weekend. It is an inspirational and empowering weekend for the entire family that you will not want to miss!
Check out our slideshow to see what a great weekend we had in 2022.
TEEN and PARENT/CAREGIVER agendas will be available in April!
Registration Fees Per Person
*Registration fees include the following:
- Entrance to FAACT's Teen Retreat
- Socials on Friday evening after the Welcome Ceremony
- Parent/Caregiver Meet & Greet
- Teen Social
- Catered lunch on Saturday (allergen-friendly menu planned with catering staff).
- Teen and Parent/Caregiver Lunches are free from the Top-9 plus gluten-free and seed-free.
- All allergies will be accommodated.
- After lunch on Saturday, the Teens will spend the afternoon at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Centre for a team building activity.
- Coffee/soda/juice/water beverage bar throughout the weekend.
- Socials on Saturday evening
- Parent/Caregiver Social
- Teen Social/Dance Party
- FAACT gifts for all attendees, including sweatshirts for the teens.
|Early Bird Registration through July 14:||Registration Fees After July 15:|
NOTE: Pre-teens and Teens (ages 11-17) must be accompanied by a parent/caregiver and/or legal guardian who also attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18 and still a senior in high school, he/she must also be accompanied by a parent/caregiver and/or legal guardian who attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18+ and in college, he/she may attend the Teen Retreat weekend on his/her own, but parents/caregivers and/or legal guardians are still preferred to attend.
Deadline to Register is August 31, 2023!
Registration will open soon!
Teen Retreat Weekend Timeline
Thursday/Friday: Arrive and check into the hotel (if traveling).
- 10a-3p (Optional): Day activity for all attendees. We use the hotel shuttle to/from the hotel and Oak Brook Shopping Centre. Teens socialize and shop (with Teen Leader chaperones). Parents/Caregivers go for coffee and socialize. We meet up for a group lunch in a reserved area at Maggiano's Little Italy (each family pays for their own bill). We had about 75 of the attendees join us in 2019, and it was a fun, successful day. ALL ALLERGIES ARE ACCOMMODATED!
- 3p-6:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
Official Start of the Teen Retreat:
- 6:30p-7p: Check-in at Registration (receive name badges, materials, gifts, & visit Expo booths)
- 7p-8:30p: Welcome Ceremony with Curtis Zimmerman
- 8:30p-10:30p: Teen Social and Parents/Caregivers Meet & Greet Social
- 9a-12p: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen sessions (teens grouped by grades)
- 12p-1p: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen luncheons
- Parent/Caregiver sessions
- TEENS will spend the afternoon with the Teen Leaders at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Shopping Centre for some fun team building and return by 4pm to meet their parents/caregivers.
- 4p-7:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
- 7:30p-9:30p: Teen Social/Dance Party and Parent/Caregiver Social
- 9a-11:30a: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen sessions (teens grouped by grades)
- 11:30a-1p: Joint Parent/Caregiver and Teen session to end the weekend
NOTE: There will be some Teen joint sessions, but then Teen sessions will break out into groups by grades:
- 6th-8th Grades
- 9th-12th Grades
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center
2815 Jorie Blvd.
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Hotel Nightly Rate: $169.00/night plus 9% tax --> Total: $184.21/night
Rooms: 2 Queen Beds, Mini Refrigerator, Patio/Balcony, Free Wi-Fi
Check-in: 3:00pm | Check-out: 12:00pm
Reserve your room today: Online Reservation Link
Reservation cut-off date: September 4, 2023
For sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities, please contact Eleanor Garrow-Holding.
Curtis Zimmerman Returns for FAACT’s Teen Retreat
As a keynote speaker, best-selling author, and host of the top-rated podcast, The Next 24 Hours, Curtis Zimmerman has impacted over one million people around the globe with his life-changing message. People connect with Curtis through his high energy as he incorporates the skills he gained from over twenty-five years in the entertainment industry as a nationally-recognized mime, juggler, and fire-eater into his powerful programs.
But don’t be fooled by the fun: With the perfect interactive keynote to open or close a conference, Curtis mobilizes audiences to manage rapid change, invigorate their company culture, lead with integrity, and engage customers.
Curtis is a highly sought after speaker among Fortune 100 companies including Kroger, Proctor and Gamble, Johnson & Johson, Pepsico, Coca Cola, Duke Energy and Walt Disney Resorts, along with Universal Orlando Resorts and the United States Air Force.
He is also the author of three books, including his #1 nationally best-selling book Life at Performance Level. Curtis is a member of the Global Speakers Federation (GFS) and the National Speakers Association (NSA), from which he has achieved the highest-earned recognition reserved for the top ten percent of professional speakers across the nation, the Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation.
Curtis Zimmerman, “Living the Dream,” returns for FAACT’s Teen Retreat. Curtis has always been a huge hit with parents/caregivers and teens. Having celiac disease himself, Zimmerman relates to the challenges faced by food-allergic groups and is very engaging. “We are thrilled to have Curtis join us again this year for FAACT’s Teen Retreat in Oak Brook,” says FAACT CEO Eleanor Garrow-Holding. “Not only will Curtis be delivering the keynote at the Opening Ceremony, he will also be conducting interactive sessions on Saturday and Sunday mornings – with the teens and the parents/caregivers. It is definitely going to be an inspirational, empowering weekend for all.”