DEI Resource Center
Community DEI SupportBack to Category View
Fostering Inclusion in Schools
Inclusion in school continues to evolve for students, families, and communities as protections under the law change to support protected persons. There is a great deal of information and discussion around this topic as well as legislation progressing at the state and national levels. FAACT’s goal is to support educators on their journey to providing the best, most equitable and inclusive school experience possible while recognizing that each school and classroom has its own unique needs and nuances. The following are resources to support inclusion in schools.
Download FAACT's Fostering Inclusion in Schools handout.
- Bias Free Language (includes online quiz) – provided by Northern Illinois University
- Classroom Resources – provided by Learning for Justice
- Creating Accessible Learning Environments – provided by Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) & Techquity in Education (downloadable guide and webinars) – provided by Texthelp Ltd.
- Explore the Issues and Take Action – provided by National Education Association EdJustice
- Inclusion Basics (interactive online course) – provided by Inclusive Schools
- Inclusive Teaching Evidence-Based Teaching Guide – provided by CBE–Life Sciences Education
- “Inclusive Teaching” – by B. Dewsbury and C.J. Brame. CBE—Life Sciences Education. The American Society for Cell Biology.
- Managing Food Allergies in Schools: The Role of School Teachers and Paraeducators (PDF link) – provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Teaching for Diversity (Resources page) – provided by University of Alberta (Canada)
Books for Teachers and Administrators:
- Assessing Students with Special Needs – by James McLoughlin, Rena Lewis, and Effie Kritikos
- Becoming the Educator They Need: Strategies, Mindsets, and Beliefs for Supporting Male Black and Latino Students – by Robert Jackson
- Equity by Design: Delivering on the Power and Promise of UDL – by Mirko Chardin
- Intersectionality in Action: A Guide for Faculty and Campus Leaders for Creating Inclusive Classrooms and Institutions – by Peter Felton and Brooke Barnett
- It Won’t Be Easy: An Exceedingly Honest (and Slightly Unprofessional) Love Letter to Teaching – by Tom Rademacher
- Teaching Truly: A Curriculum to Indigenize Mainstream Education – by Donald Trent Jacobs
- The Educator’s Guide to LGBT+ Inclusion – by Kryss Shane
- Universal Design Daily: 365 Ways to Teach, Support, & Challenge All Learners Using UDL – by Paula Kluth
- What Inclusive Instructors Do: Principles and Practices for Excellence in College Teaching – by Tracie Marcella Addy, Derek Dube, Khadijah A. Mitchell, and Mallory E. SoRelle
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? – by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- Why Are So Many Minority Students in Special Education?: Understanding Race and Disability in Schools – by Beth Harry