Food Allergy Awareness InitiativesBack to Category View
FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK (FAAW) TOOLKIT
How to Request A Mayoral/Governor Proclamation for FAAW
Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) provides a unique opportunity to help raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. Each of us works in our own way to raise awareness of food allergies and anaphylaxis. When we all work together and focus our efforts over the course of one week, it amplifies our message and reaches many more people than any one of us could do alone. Thanks to your energy and dedication, this event continues to grow each year, increasing the reach of our public awareness and education efforts. There are many ways you can get involved. One way that you can get involved is by getting a Mayoral/Governor proclamation for FAAW. This toolkit will provide you with all the resources you may need to have your Mayor/Governor proclaim May 14-20, 2023, as Food Allergy Awareness Week in your city and/or state.
What is a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation?
Proclamations are typically issued by a Mayor to recognize the importance of a community event, achievements by community members, or to signal a City’s role in significant events. Proclamations may be read at a City Council meeting, or at a community event, depending on the schedule of the Mayor. Proclamations are often posted on the City’s website. Original signed proclamations will be provided to the requesting party (sometimes must be received in person at City offices).
Why request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation in your City/State?
Proclamations are the official recognition that the Mayor’s/Governor’s office cares about residents with food allergies. It shows support to all the residents that this is an issue that matters and that the Mayor/Governor recognizes the serious nature of the condition. A proclamation can lead to attention in the press and may influence consideration when it comes to policy making with regards to food allergy. It also provides a way to:
- Opportunity to meet/greet/photo with your Mayor/Governor and/or other City representation.
- Become a FAAW Ambassador to your City and help establish Food Allergy Awareness Week as a locally and nationally recognized event.
- Help your City increase awareness regarding food allergy, supporting the food allergy community.
- Get your City/State government more involved in local causes.
What Food Allergy Awareness Week will offer your City/State:
- The chance for citizens to become more aware and get involved in state, community, and local causes.
- Build and strengthen partnerships across sectors.
In this toolkit, you will find:
- Steps to request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation
- Sample outreach email
- Sample Mayoral/Governor Proclamation for Food Allergy Awareness Week
- Sample Press Release
Steps to Request a Mayoral/Governor Proclamation for Food Allergy Awareness Week
1. On your city/state’s official website, you may find directions on how to request a proclamation. Some may even have a direct link, web address or steps to follow for their process. If this is not available, send an email to your Mayor’s office. Contact information for your Mayor should be listed on the site. We have provided a sample email in this tool kit for you.
2. Request proclamation in advance in order to be completed and received by a specific date.
3. Many times, offices may request a sample draft of the proclamation. We also have a sample in the tool kit as well.
4. You also might consider requesting a photo opportunity when the Mayor actually signs the proclamation or presenting the document to the public or directly to you as the representative requesting the proclamation. It would be great to invite other FAAW supporters in your community to take part as well.
5. If your Mayor grants your request, share your story with your local media. It is a wonderful opportunity to spread awareness even further. Create a press release to send to your media outlets in television, press and radio. We have created a template for your press release as part of this kit.
6. FAAW ambassadors who spearhead the action to receive a Mayoral Proclamation in their City are welcome to display the official Proclamation in their organization. Let us know about your success! Share your achievement with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team so we can help you spread the word about your achievement and your City’s involvement!
7. Repeat the above steps to request your Governor’s Proclamation in your state.
Sample Outreach Email
The following email offers ideas and language you can use as part of your outreach to your Mayor for FAAW. Feel free to copy, paste or adjust as you see fit for your organization as you communicate about your involvement with Food Allergy Awareness Week 2022.
FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK- MAY 14-20, 2023
This year, May 14-20, 2023, [NAME OF LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP] and Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team (FAACT) are part of a local and national call to action that will spread awareness and understanding regarding Food Allergies. Food allergy is an immune system response to a food the body mistakenly believes is harmful. This sometimes results in anaphylaxis, a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening. When a person with food allergy eats the food, his or her immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals, including histamine, that trigger a cascade of symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal tract, the skin, and/or the cardiovascular system. There are approximately 32 million Americans, including 6 million children, affected by food allergies.
U.S. Mayors, Governors, City Councils and other elected officials around the country have supported food allergy awareness in their area. Even the White House also publically supported Food Allergy Awareness Week.
As a Food Allergy Awareness Week supporter from the City/State of _____________, we would like to respectfully request that the City/State of ___________ officially proclaim May 14-20, 2023 as Food Allergy Awareness Week. Your support in endorsing FOOD ALLERGY AWARENESS WEEK, will increase community awareness about food allergies. In doing so, you will help educate schools, restaurants and the residence of our city on the seriousness of this potentially life-threatening medical condition.
FAACT’s Food Allergy Awareness Week campaign provides a framework and ideas for people to choose their own best way to contribute to their communities and will provide the citizens of _____________ with an opportunity to spread awareness. [INSERT HOW YOUR SG INTENDS ON PARTICIPATING]
For additional information, please visit our website at www.FoodAllergyAwareness.org. It would truly be an honor to have the City/State of __________ formally proclaim Food Allergy Awareness Week in support of the food allergic families within our community. Thank you for considering our request.
(Sample) Food Allergy Awareness Week Proclamation
May 14-20, 2023
WHEREAS, Food Allergy Awareness Week was established as a national week of encouraging food allergy awareness and supporting those who are impacted by food allergies and anaphylaxis; and
WHEREAS, Food allergies affect approximately 32 million Americans, including 6 million children; and
WHEREAS, the prevalence of food allergies appears to be increasing among children under the age of 18, which is 2 students in every classroom; and
WHEREAS, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1997 and 2011, the prevalence of food allergies rose 50 percent and
WHEREAS, nine foods account for 90 percent of all food allergy reactions: Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Milk, Egg, Wheat, Soy, Fish, Shellfish, and Sesame.
WHEREAS, a food allergy is an immune system response to a food the body mistakenly believes is harmful. When a person with food allergy eats the food, his or her immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals, including histamine, that trigger a cascade of symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal tract, the skin, and/or the cardiovascular system; and
WHEREAS, there is no cure for food allergies, strict avoidance is the only way to prevent an allergic reaction; and
WHEREAS, anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that comes on quickly and has the potential to become life-threatening; and
WHEREAS, managing a food allergy on a daily basis involves constant vigilance and trace amounts of an allergen can trigger an allergic reaction in some individuals; and
WHEREAS, Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Connection Team (FAACT) is a national, nonprofit organization committed to their mission to educate, advocate, and raise awareness for all individuals and families affected by food allergies and life-threatening anaphylaxis; and
NOW, THEREFORE, I, (MAYOR'S/GOVERNOR’S NAME), Mayor of the City/Governor of (CITY/STATE NAME), do hereby proclaim May 14-20, 2023 as Food Allergy Awareness Week in the City/State of (CITY/STATE NAME), and encourage all residents to increase their understanding and awareness of this potentially life-threatening medical condition, improving the quality of life of the 32 million Americans affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis by visiting www.FoodAllergyAwareness.org.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the City/State of (CITY NAME, STATE) to be affixed this 14th day of May 2023.
SIGNATURE NAME, MAYOR/GOVERNOR of (CITY/STATE NAME)