FAACT's Teen Retreat 2022 Overview
OCTOBER 28-30, 2022
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center, Oak Brook, Illinois
FAACT's Seventh Annual Teen Retreat will be Friday, October 28, through Sunday, October 30, 2022 at The Hyatt Lodge & Conference Center in Oak Brook, Illinois.
FAACT's Teen Retreat weekend is all about tweens, teens, and college students, their siblings, and their parents/caregivers - managing food allergies, asthma, eosinophilic disorders, FPIES, and Celiac disease. The weekend offers an informative program full of fun activities. Teens will learn about managing their food allergies and, more importantly, spend time with peers who have food allergies (and siblings who do not). Siblings are also affected when a family member has food allergies. Our Teen Retreat is a safe place for them to discuss their concerns with a group who not only understands but can share their own experiences, advice, and solutions.
Teens, college students, and siblings must be between the ages of 11 and 22 to attend the Teen Retreat. It is important for college-aged teens and young adults to be included as well – they can act as mentors to the younger teens and also have the opportunity to connect with their peers and discuss managing food allergies in college. All teens will be together for some sessions for mentoring aspects, and then there will be breakout sessions by grades.
Parents/Caregivers are in session all day on Saturday learning from healthcare professionals, parent/caregiver advocates, teen advocates, and Parents/Caregivers have time to bond and share stories during both evenings, as well, while the teens are participating in the social events.
There will be an Expo set up all weekend and additional sessions for parents/caregivers while the teens are in session on Sunday. The Expo features FAACT's sponsors who distribute literature, materials, and samples.
To close the weekend, there will be a special parent/caregiver and teen session together, which is very moving and a wonderful way to end the weekend. It is an inspirational and empowering weekend for the entire family that you will not want to miss!
FAACT Guidelines in Place Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic
Based on the recommendations of FAACT’s Medical Advisory Board, all attendees and staff must submit proof of vaccination inlcuding available boosters at least two weeks prior to the Teen Retreat. These guidelines are non-negotiable.
- Proof of vaccination/boosters (scanned vaccination cards) must be emailed to Eleanor.Garrow@FoodAllergyAwareness.org.
- FAACT will comply with the The Hyatt Lodge, Illinois Department of Public Health, and CDC's Covid-19 protocols and requirements.
- FAACT will continue to work with our medical advisory board and update our policies as needed.
As always, the health and safety of our attendees and staff are our utmost priority. We cannot wait to see you all for FAACT's Teen Retreat!
Registration Fees Per Person
*Registration fees include the following:
- Entrance to FAACT's Teen Retreat.
- Socials on Friday evening after the Welcome Ceremony
- Parent/Caregiver Meet & Greet
- Teen Social
- Catered lunch on Saturday (allergen-friendly menu planned with catering staff).
- Teen and Parent/Caregiver Lunches are free from the Top-9 plus gluten-free and seed-free.
- All allergies will be accommodated.
- After lunch on Saturday, the Teens will spend the afternoon at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Centre for a team building activity.
- Coffee/soda/juice/water beverage bar throughout the weekend.
- Socials on Saturday evening
- Parent/Caregiver Social
- Teen Social/Dance Party
- FAACT gifts for all attendees, including sweatshirts for the teens.
|Registration Fees through October 14:|
NOTE: Pre-teens and Teens (ages 11-17) must be accompanied by a parent/caregiver and/or legal guardian who also attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18 and still a senior in high school, he/she must also be accompanied by a parent/caregiver and/or legal guardian who attends the Teen Retreat weekend. If 18+ and in college, he/she may attend the Teen Retreat weekend on his/her own, but parents/caregivers and/or legal guardians are still preferred to attend.
Register Here! Deadline to Register is October 14, 2022!
Teen Retreat Weekend Timeline
Thursday/Friday: Arrive and check into the hotel (if traveling).
- 10a-3p (Optional): Day activity for all attendees. We use the hotel shuttle to/from the hotel and Oak Brook Shopping Centre. Teens socialize and shop (with Teen Leader chaperones). Parents/Caregivers go for coffee and socialize. We meet up for a group lunch in a reserved area at Maggiano's Little Italy (each family pays for their own bill). We had about 75 of the attendees join us in 2019, and it was a fun, successful day. ALL ALLERGIES ARE ACCOMMODATED!
- 3p-6:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
Official Start of the Retreat:
- 6:30p-7p: Check-in at Registration (receive name badges, materials, gifts, & visit Expo booths)
- 7p-8:30p: Welcome Ceremony with Dewayne Hill
- 8:30p-10:30p: Teen Social and Parents/Caregivers Meet & Greet Social
- 9a-12p: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen sessions (teens grouped by grades)
- 12p-1p: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen luncheons
- Parent/Caregiver sessions
- TEENS will spend the afternoon with the Teen Leaders at 'Escape The Room' at Oak Brook Shopping Centre for some fun team building and return by 4pm to meet their parents.
- 4p-7:30p: Break, socialize, and dinner on your own
- 7:30p-9:30p: Teen Social/Dance Party and Parent/Caregiver Social
- 9a-11:30a: Separate Parent/Caregiver and Teen sessions (teens grouped by grades)
- 11:30a-1p: Joint Parent/Caregiver and Teen session
NOTE: There will be some Teen joint sessions, but then Teen sessions will break out into groups by grades:
- 6th-8th Grades
- 9th-12th Grades
The Hyatt Lodge & Hyatt Lodge Conference Center
2815 Jorie Blvd.
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Hotel Nightly Rate: $159.00/night plus 9% tax --> Total: $173.31/night
Rooms: 2 Queen Beds, Mini Refrigerator, Patio/Balcony, Free Wi-Fi
Check-in: 3:00pm | Check-out: 12:00pm
Reserve your room today: Online Reservation Link
Reservation cut-off date: September 30, 2022
For sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities, please contact Eleanor Garrow-Holding.
Want to see what a great time we had in 2019? Check out our YouTube slide show!
Dewayne Hill Joins FAACT’s Teen Retreat
Dewayne Hill was born in Brooklyn, NY and grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. At the age of 13 he found a love for working out and bodybuilding.
He quickly learned team sports was not a great fit for his personality, so he turned all of his energy into bodybuilding. From 1995 to 2000, Dewayne competed in various bodybuilding competitions.
When he was 16, he watched a substitute teacher have a profound impact on the rest of his life. The teacher and coach performed a card trick and that sparked an extreme interest. Dewayne's plan was to learn card sleights and scheme at poker, but performing for strangers became very second nature.
Six months after practicing, Dewayne started booking performance shows around his area and got his first official gig at a Church. This caught the attention of a local TV producer. Dewayne's TV appearance landed him a front page newspaper article. That ignited a flood of performances that would eventually lead to paying and funding Dewayne's college.
Majoring in K-12 education, Dewayne started working for the State Government as a graphic designer. His magic business grew too fast, and he quit his government job and went into the classroom part-time.
Dewayne quickly branded himself as THE Magician for the entire state of WV. But hunger for growth, he got a second home location in Florida and re-booted his business.
In 2007, Dewayne set a world record by performing the most card tricks in 60 minutes.
In 2011/2012, America's Got Talent asked Dewayne to perform, but he was cut after the first series of auditions because they wanted an illusion act. Since then, the series' producers call for Dewayne to re-audition, but Hill continues to decline.
He is currently working on signing a deal with a major streaming service. Dewayne now performs and travels over 100 dates per year and has transitioned more into motivational and business speaking about goals and leadership.